"...and Terror drove them, and Fear, and Hate whose wrath is relentless / she the sister and companion of murderous Ares / she who is only a little thing at the first, but thereafter / grows until she strides on the earth with her head striking heaven..." Homer, The Iliad
It is a time of peace, but the most violent of storms is already gathering. It is a time of war, but many still live in innocence of the fact.
Within the safety of their school, four boys enjoy their last year together, bounding joyfully about the grounds with all the confidence of children who are old enough to know their own power but young enough to not realize its limits. In cold caves and thick forests all around them, the forces of darkness are forming, pulling together with the slow and steady stealth of the most powerful dark lord of them all --- a man who calls himself Lord Voldemort.
It is a time of calm --- and one of the most utter chaos and confusion the Wizarding World has ever known.
It is 1977.
And, in the midst of this, a 10-year-old boy named Tom Marvolo Riddle seems determined to show up at Hogwarts for his first day of classes.
Welcome to the world of Darkness Falls, an slightly AU Harry Potter Roleplaying Game set in the time of the Marauders.
How to Play
Playing is relatively simple. Each character has his or her own journal, in which they write in first person about their day, or their thoughts. Unless they ward the entry, however, it can be read and commented upon by any other character with a journal, as they are magical in nature. If the character wishes to make the entry private or restrict it to certain individuals, however, they need only ward it to them.
In addition to the individual journals, there are also RPs, which will be done in this community. RPs, of course, are done in third person and consist of the telling of a certain event. Just to keep everything clear, each RP must begin with a title, a rating, and an explanation of who will be in it, where it is set, and when it is taking place.
Each person must have their character post at least once a week, preferably twice a week.
And that's pretty much it. Pretty self-explanatory, no?
Just ask if there are any further questions!
The rules are simple enough around here.
1. No picking fights! This is a game, people; let's keep it fun. So, yeah --- let's try and keep the arguing to a minimum around here, as RPs really fall apart when people start flaming each other.
2. No [major] power-playing! We're not going to be insanely picky here. If you want to say somebody else's character cleared their throat and they don't mind, sure. What I'm talking about is the big stuff; you obviously can't say somebody else's character suddenly just keeled over, or something. Not cool.
3. You MUST post at least once every two weeks. Admittedly, I'm not going to kick you out if you don't --- but really, why are you joining if you don't intend on RPing anyway? So, unless you tell people in advance that you'll be really busy or gone, I expect a post every two weeks. It doesn't have to be huge or anything; just show that you're still around and still interested!
4. PLEASE DON'T ABUSE THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE TO THE POINT OF MAKING OTHER PLAYERS WANT TO HURL A DICTIONARY AT YOU! We're not expecting you to rewrite Hamlet, don't worry; all I mean is that people should at least take enough time to spell-check, et cetera. It doesn't take much time to see if words are spelled right in this day and age, and RPing is really that much more fun when people take enough care with their writing to ensure that their grammar is descent and their spelling is all right. I mean, obviously we're all going to make mistakes. The idea is just that there should at least be some effort involved, y'know?
5. Try to keep things PG-13 and under, if at all possible. R rated material is permitted so long as it's under an LJ-cut, but really --- try not to go overboard, y'know? Similarly, slash is fine --- but please don't overdo it, and try to stay in character, et cetera. In fact, trying to keep your character at least relatively close to the canon depiction is rather important to this RP. Now, this doesn't mean you can't be creative; far from it. Creativity is encouraged! Just don't have Snape suddenly go off and join a punk rock band, seduce thousands of beautiful women, and so on. Or at least if you do, you'd better provide some sort of justification for it! (Good luck on that one.)
Anyway, that's about it. So yeah --- just --- have fun!
How to Apply
Now, if you'd like to join, all you have to do is follow a few simple steps. First, you've obviously got to pick out which character(s) you want to play (our limit is three per person.) Next, you must fill out the following application:
Name: Age: Prior Experience (If Any) With RPing:
Desired Character: DC's Age: DC's House and Year [If Applicable]: DC's Current Occupation and Residence [If Not Hogwarts]: DC's Appearance: DC's Personality: DC's Background and History: Sample Journal Entry:
Once you've completed this, all you've got to do is send it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will get back to you within a few days, and --- provided you haven't made some sort of incredible mess of the application, will tell you to go create journals for your characters and join the community. Once you have done this, it'd be best if you place the second portion of the application --- the part about the character, except for, obviously, the sample journal entry --- in the user info part of your character's journal. The application, you see, isn't so much so we can be uber-elitist; it's more of a tool to get people to think about their characters a bit. It doesn't have to be a thesis, but making it thoughtful is, of course, very much appreciated. Thanks!
These are basically the only characters we are interested in having. We are, however, open to suggestions as well. Characters already taken are in bold; all others are open for play.
Hufflepuff Davy Gudgeon, Prefect Catherine Heyward Marlene McKinnon, Prefect Mike Murphy, Prefect Kelly Reynolds Kingsley Shacklebolt
Ravenclaw Barty Crouch, Jr. Alice Faye [Longbottom], Prefect Dorcas Meadowes, Prefect - feyness Gaspard Shingleton Selene Sinistra Carmen Vera
Slytherin Regulus Black Genevieve Caughlin, Prefect Andrew Greenwood, Prefect Evan Rosier Severus Snape - snape_tc Sara Yorke
Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster - tc_dumbledore Quincy Binns, History of Magic Ernest Eiger, Potions Master Argus Filch, Caretaker Filius Flitwick, Charms Rubeus Hagrid, Groundskeeper Rolanda Hooch, Flying Instructor Alexander Kettleburn, Care of Magical Creatures Minerva McGonagall, Tranfiguration - felis_scotus Phoebus Penrose, Muggle Studies Poppy Pomfrey, School Nurse Homer Ramspur, Ancient Runes Pomona Sprout, Herbology Lawrence Thomason, Defense against the Dark Arts - blazing_bright Imogen Vector, Arithmancy